This is the listing for Neil Gaiman from Gale’s Biography Resource Center database. You should be able to find many of these books in larger sized public libraries or college libraries.
I have made notes next to the references I have seen, and those that were available as text have been hotlinked.
Many thanks to Puck for turning the text files into web documents and providing a place for them!
- The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. Edited by John Clute and Peter Nicholls. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1993.
- The Encyclopedia of Fantasy. Edited by John Clute and John Grant. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1999.
- I haven’t seen the updated version of this, but the previous edition covered up to Neverwhere. If you’re looking for a concise article that’s probably on the shelf of your local bookshop, this is a lovely reference. The book also has articles for the character of the Sandman and biographies for many of the artists involved with the comics.
- The International Authors and Writers Who’s Who. 11th edition. Edited by Ernest Kay. Cambridge: International Biographical Centre, 1989.
- Something about the Author. Facts and pictures about authors and illustrators of books for young people. Volume 85. Detroit: Gale Research, 1996. Biography contains portrait.
- Of all the sources I’ve seen, this has the most up to date biographical data. Pretty good non-short story biblio. too, although dated (“The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish” and a the Neverwhere TV show are works in progress) – and the only one I’ve ever seen that listed introductions he’s written to other people’s comic books.
- St. James Guide to Horror, Ghost, & Gothic Writers. Edited by David Pringle. Detroit: St. James Press,1998.
- St. James Guide to Science Fiction Writers. 4th ed. Detroit: St James Press, 1996.
- The Writers Directory.11th edition, 1994-1996. Detroit: St. James Press, 1994.
- The Writers Directory. 12th edition, 1996-1998. Detroit: St. James Press, 1996.
- The Writers Directory. 13th edition, 1998-2000. Detroit: St. James Press, 1997.
- The Writers Directory. 14th edition, 1999. Detroit: St. James Press, 1999.
- Authors & Artists for Young Adults. Volume 19. Detroit: Gale Research, 1997. Biography contains portrait.
- If you need a starting point for biographical research, this as good a place as I’ve seen. Besides the critical treatment of his work that you’ll find in many of the other entries, this one includes an interview with Neil that I haven’t seen elsewhere.
- Biography Index. A cumulative index to biographical material in books and magazines. Volume 21: September, 1995-August, 1996. New York: H.W. Wilson Co., 1996.
- Contemporary Authors. Volume 133. Detroit: Gale Research, 1991.
- Updated in Current Authors, New Revision Series, Vol. 81 (1999) but in terms of bibliography and discussion only; Smoke and Mirrors and Neverwhere are summarized and quotes from their reviews are included in the newer entry.
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Literature, 1975-1991. A bibliography of science fiction, fantasy, and horror fiction books and nonfiction monographs. By Robert Reginald. Detroit: Gale Research, 1992.